CLQ welcomes the submission of unsolicited manuscripts. All manuscripts must be submitted electronically either by email to or via ExpressO.
- Articles must center on one or more legal issues arising from the U.S. Constitution.
- Articles should be between 18,000 and 30,000 words (including footnotes). We do also accept essays on very contemporary topics.
- Citations and formatting must conform to The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation. *If chronic Bluebook defects are found (missing information on court, no pin cites throughout the manuscript, etc), CLQ will require a resubmission before formally accepting the manuscript for publication.
- Please submit your article in Microsoft Word format, Times New Roman font, without macros.
- Along with your article, please submit a current CV.
- In any email correspondence, please include your full name, title, organization, and contact information.
- CLQ places a premium on publishing new and diverse voices. Please read our Eight Issue Rule. In an effort to ensure a diversity of voices published in CLQ, we will not publish the same author within two years (8 issues) of their last publication in CLQ.
Timelines and due dates are sacred to CLQ.
Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly
O’Brien Center for Scholarly Publications
200 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
For subscription or reprint permission: